Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

DIY Easy Hummus and Pita Bread

Welcome to cooking with EZBZ!

I was introduced to hummus in college and fell in love! Garlic hummus, tomato basil, red pepper; I love it all! So, I was more than happy to try the recipe my mom gave me. It's more delicious than store bought, cheaper in the long run and yields more servings. I had to share it with you!

So, without any delay... here is a quick and painless recipe for garlic hummus and your own pita chips, along with some pictures of my own experience!

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GARLIC HUMMUS:

Ingredients needed -
  • 1 Lemon (or just 1/4 cup lemon juice)
  • 15 oz. chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or 2 tsp. if you have the pre-minced garlic in a jar)
  • 1 tsp. vegetable oil
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper (I just used regular pepper)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • olive oil & parsley for garnish
Step 1: Pour 1/4 cup lemon juice into blender. Add chickpeas, tahini, garlic, vegetable oil, cumin, pepper, salt and water. Process until smooth.

Step 2: Transfer to serving bowl/storage container. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley.

Tahini happened to be on a GREAT sale at Meijer.
You might have to look for it in the foreign foods section.

Our Ninja is a beast. We use it for EVERYTHING!
If you don't have a blender, a really fine food processor would work.

Will it blend? Yes... and it comes out smelling like heaven.
Heaven smells like garlic, okay?  :D



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PITA CHIPS

Ingredients needed -
  • 6 Pita bread (generally one package of pita bread)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • garlic salt
  • pepper (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons of dried basil or oregano
Step 1: Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Step 2: Separate halves of pita and cut into wedges. Arrange on 2 baking sheets. Brush the top of pita with olive oil, then lightly sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper and herbs.

Step 3: Bake for 7 min or until lightly browned. Rotate halfway through. Let cool.

Feel free to substitute muti-grain peta, however I think the original peta bread makes better chips.
I don't think my hubby minds me using his bbq brush for this. hehe.

They taste even better than they look!

This is about how many chips two packages of pita makes (10 pita breads).
I made extra because my hubby thinks they are delicious but won't eat them with hummus.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Voila!! My beautiful, yummy creation!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


See?! How easy is that?
All in all, I think I was in the kitchen for a total of 15mins and I produced hummus and my own pita chips! It's the perfect dish for company, friends or a light snack! Hummus is also very good as a dip for fresh veggies.

Let me know if you try it or if you make a variation of it. I'd love your recipe!

Off to go fill my tummy with healthy foods!



-Mrs. EZBZ




No comments: