Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Resourcing Humans


I was recently promoted to a Human Resources position at work! First of all, this is amazing!! My degree is in Psychology and now I feel that I'm putting it to good use. Prior to my promotion I just felt like it made me analyze customers... apart from that I felt like it was just a piece of paper. I love my new job, but it is nothing like I thought it would be... O_O


Let me tell you a few of the things I have learned from my new job:

  • If an individual feels like they have been wronged, it is IMMEDIATELY my fault. It could be anything from scheduling to their pay check... I'm sure anyone in a position of "authority" knows what I'm talking about.

  • Due to my office placement...I can hear EVERYTHING that is said anywhere. HR is all about confidentiality and I'm very good at keeping personal information personal; BUT I hear much more information than what is pertaining to work. I could tell you some stories... oh wait, no I can't. The most I can tell you is that people must not know I can hear them.

  • If I have work to do... I'm also going to be asked to do a million other things at the same time. This never fails. I could be working on the new schedule and then be asked to call 10 employees to cover one shift... or organize files... or fix a punch... or cover the phones... etc etc.
Those are a few of the "negatives"...but there is some good that happens when I resource some humans. ^_^
  • I have the opportunity to meet new people every day! This means I can make new relationships, new business contacts, and practice my social skills.


  • I can fix problems and make people happy. When employees are happy it makes me happy; when employees are unhappy it makes me miserable... enough said.

  • People come to me and they know I will listen. A lot of times executives get too busy to listen to people but I take the time to actually hear what people have to say. All my life I've been the person my friends have come to when they need to vent, get advice, or just have someone to lean on. I'm happy that I get to use my abilities to provide a meaningful service to others.

Like any job... HR has pros and cons, but I think it is where I'm meant to be right now. Each day brings new challenges, new employees, and more experience. I can't wait to share more stories with you! Perhaps I'll even be able to create funny names and vague details to tell you the best stories that happen. I have the skills to keep it confidential and hilarious.



**Edit: I'm sorry how long it took me to update! They weren't kidding when they said life could get crazy! So here is a picture of us to add to this update. We're doing well and enjoying life!**

1 comment:

Mom said...

Glad to hear your new job is going well. Must be nice to use your degree outside of home! (sorry Eric. I couldn't resist.) You both look so happy. That makes me so happy! Love you both, Mom